Overcoming Barriers provides educational seminars, and immersion and online trainings for clinicians, lawyers and judges to aid them in early identification of the complex and challenging dynamics that present in high conflict families and to provide a conceptual foundation for parent-child contact problems and a variety of methods, skills and techniques for addressing them. Overcoming Barriers’ programs for legal and mental health professionals provide those professionals with up-to-date research in the field as well as strategies and skills for working with and helping families in which a child is resisting or refusing contact with a parent.
More details for current and upcoming live and online Trainings and Seminars are posted in the Latest News section on the front page of the Website. Also please sign up to receive our e Newsletters for announcements about our work.
- Online Training: For Mental Health Professionals:
High Conflict Coparenting: Interventions for Children’s Alignment and Resistance. The 28 hour online course is being offered in collaboration with William James College. The course was initially presented beginning in September 2017 and has served over 300 mental health professionals since. It was developed by OCB to provide mental health professionals with the requisite information for working with families in which a child is refusing or resisting contact with a parent. TO FIND MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER CLICK HERE.
- Seminars for Lawyers and Judges: In 2019 OCB began developing a curriculum that could be presented in 1; 3 or 6 hours or ideally 2 days and presented it live across the US. It is entitled What to Do When a Child Resists Contact with a Parent. This course is available for live presentation (or on Zoom as needed due to COVID) at locations around the country. If you are interested in our presenting this course in your location please contact OCB for details.
- We are currently working on a second online course for Mental Health professionals in collaboration with William James College, a college of professional psychology in Massachusetts. We expect it to be available by December 2021.
- In addition in development is a parallel online course for Judges and Attorneys to learn to identify and manage Resist Refuse Dynamics to be available later in the year also.
- The goal of our current endeavor, Overcoming Barriers Approach On The Go: Enhancing Local Legal, Judicial and Mental Health Resources, is to provide a direct service to local jurisdictions tailored to their identified needs by providing consultation on court practices and procedures as well as education and training on best practices for lawyers and mental health professionals. TO FIND MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTER CLICK HERE.
- Seminar for Mental Health Professionals and Custody Evaluators: An 8 hour course presented by OCB Board members and Advisory Council members in collaboration with Alliant University entitled, Overcoming Parent-Child Contact Problems, is available online at the Steve Frankel Group via video or mp4 HERE.
Amy Armstrong, author of Real-Time Parenting and OCB camp clinician speaks about the OCB expert Team:
“I would like to share my deepest appreciation for the opportunity ALL of you provided last week. As I reflected during the long trek home, what kept returning to my mind were two thoughts: one about the awesome collection of brain power and national leadership present throughout camp, and two about the value of the true immersion experience for learning – both for the clients and the trainees.” – 2014 Family Camp Summer Trainee
For information on trainings email us at [email protected].